Saturday, July 1, 2017

1001 gram (2014, Bent Hamar)

The director seems to be known to the Happy Few. This was my first encounter with him. It would be an exaggeration to say that I was amused. Yes, I do like comedies, yes also the slow ones. I have been told that this is a comedy. Else I would have thought that it was about the tragical boredom at a calibration institute.
Ane Dahl Torp plays Marie Ernst, a dry, almost withered scientist whose life consist of measuring the world. She is getting a divorce. She sees her former husband only when he takes things from their home. Including pictures. Obviously art and imagination have been his domain. Marie's father Ernst (thus Ernst Ernst, haha) is working in the same institute. In contrast to his daughter he is interested in other things than science, as he likes cooking. He is also a part-time farmer. Marie measures.
Ernst Ernst suffers from a heart attack, therefore is sent as representative for Norway to the international kilo-conference in Paris.  In Paris resides the prototype of the kilograms of the world. All others have to be calibrated accordingly.
However, Paris is also the city of romance. Marie meets a professor of physics who also likes gardening and cataloguing the variations of bird songs. We get a dash of romantic comedy and maybe a transformed Marie.
If there is irony in the dialogues, I didn't catch it. Irony can be too subtle for me. I caught the cinematography - everything has to be put in patterns. That is probably how Marie sees the world. I also noticed her monochrome world. That is very nice, but what is the point? Emotions can't be weighed on a scale? A  rather poor tag line. It is interesting to see this film, but I didn't understand why I should see it.







No comments:

Post a Comment