Thursday, July 6, 2017

Gloria (Sebastián Lelio, 2013)

Finding titles from minor film nations on IMDb can sometimes be a challenge. This film, although it got a prize at the Berlin Film Festival is at the leading database of films only "Gloria (2013/II) and not even mentioned among the top results. This puts the notion of world culture in a dim light. On the other side - the database is only as good as the users make it.
It was by coincidence.
It happens that I also yesterday saw a film about mature people having sex. Yesterday I saw the German film Wolke 9 by German director and auteur Andreas Dresen. That film was more explicit about "knowing each other" (I mean it in the Biblical sense of the word). Gloria is exploring the (im)possibilities of building up a relationship between two people who at least partially are stuck in the past.
I have a good friend who has experienced all aspects of this kind of dating. My friend is, as Gloria, constantly confronted with men who do not dare to move into the future, but stay for some vague reasons in their pasts.  At least Gloria moves on in this film.
I will recommend this to my friend. I wonder what she will make of this film. I give it 7/10.
TBC










No comments:

Post a Comment