Sunday, July 16, 2017

لراعي والنساء (The shepherd and the women [1991, Ali Badrakhan])

Also known as: Al-Ra'i wal Nisaa.
I reviewed this on IMDb, so I think I can post that review also here:
I am new to Egyptian cinema. I took the DVD from the shelves because of my insatiable curiosity - and because it was provided with subtitles. I learned in the meantime that I saw here some of the superstars from Egypt. On the other side I am surprised about the relatively low score it gets here. Actually, liked it. It's certainly not a masterwork, but a decent melodrama.

It is about Hassan, who is just released from prison and announces himself at the house of his deceased cell mate. There are three women living by themselves in a relatively isolated spot. Initially they reject him, but then they gradually relate to him and accept him in their household. They understand that life is easier with a "shepherd" around, even though this particular shepherd is not a great assistance in their daily work. He admits right in the beginning that laziness indeed is his main predicament. I liked the quiet flow of the every-day life. Someone who knows Egypt better might even notice the slow changes of nature. There are signs of growing intimacy between Hassan and the women. I think their use of head scarves is relevant here. At that point I asked myself, if it could be possible to film such scenes today: the way they look at each other, close-ups of hands while touching or even embracing. Would they kiss in films nowadays? Or would it be possible to see a couple in bed?(I don't know, but I would like to know and at some point I might also find out.)

We also learn that gossiping is spreading fast: three women and a stranger living together is not seen upon with mild eyes by the community. But this is only hinted at in this film. (Would that be a major plot line in 2017?) In the end the melodrama culminates. Those scenes are not played too well, more in a too impassioned telenovela style. Maybe the end is to please the silent majority, to restore moral consensus? But it was still unexpected how it actually finished.

Maybe this is not the top of cinema from Egypt, but I enjoyed this peek into a culture and an industry I am not acquainted with. 
6/10




No comments:

Post a Comment