Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The Neon Demon (2016, Nicolas Winding Refn)

Sometimes I ask myself if I should be more selective and not let myself drive too much by curiosity. IF I jad got myself informed before, I might have saved two hours of my life and used it for something worthwhile, for example watching a classic. Now the time is wasted on this stylish crap.
This is about fashion. Just that should have rung my alarm bells. However, it could still have been some sort of "Black Swan" located in the fashion business. It wasn't.
 A young aspiring model, Jesse, is coming to Los Angeles and gets entangled in a world a people-devouring beauty-worshipers. We are told that she has natural beauty. Maybe people who have proper receptors can easier perceive this than I can. To me she looks in the opening like a Barbie Amazon. Whatever, everybody is intrigued by her, including the "older" models. It seems that at the age of 20 they are already veterans in this business. So they also admire her youth. Youth as such is an overrated quality. Just to be alive at the age of 16 is not an achievement in itself. So Jesse is slowly entangled in this world and gets more and more fascinated by herself. Now we learn that her competitors are lesbian vampires. Yes, that is true. And now a spoiler (but what is there to spoil?): Jesse is their next victim.
Nicolas Winding Refn (whose signature is NWR) has stated that he already made enough films about violent women. So he may have felt the urge to become more gender-balanced. But do we really believe that this film has any relation to human existence? Or do we believe that he wants to unmask anything? Neoliberal social Darwinists that eat each other? I don't see anything of that kind. Enter the void. NWR comes with a bluff package that once you remove the stylish wrapping paper mainly contains vomit from unpretentious horror movies. Plot keywords: necrophilia, slasher, cannibalism.
All this is set in a futuristic set. There are some nice visuals. The soundtrack fits the cinematography very well. Because of somewhat attractive scenery I give it a 3/10. I wish I hadn't seen this.

No comments:

Post a Comment