Sunday, June 25, 2017

วันเดอร์ฟูลทาวน์ (Wonderful Town, Aditya Assarat, 2007)

This was shown some years ago on BBC 2. When I saw it first time, I liked it. Now I am not sure, if I understand it. The story line of this film is somewhat elliptical. As always with Asian movies, I am in doubt  if I miss some culture-specific points or if the director just fails to communicate what is going on. It is, however, still a pleasant viewing experience, in spite of mine or the director's failing abilities.
The title "Wonderful Town" - is it meant to be ironical, sarcastic, anachronistic or prophetic? This town is at best a settlement with few to no people in the street. The plot is set after the devastating tsunami in 2004. So that is one explanation for the absence of people in general. The town once thrived on tourism. A new luxury resort is going to be reconstructed while the phantoms of the perished are still around. An architect, Ton,  is sent from Bangkok to supervise. He has not much to, so he hangs around here and there. His company sends him to a small family hotel. It is run by Na, who seems to be owner and only employee. A kind of romance is developing between Ton and Na. All this is very atmospheric, there are lots of delicate pictures and a tender soundtrack are there to please the arthouse audience. But a little demon starts whispering: take care, this is constructed and not genuine, however the director manages to keep me interested what is going on.
Nan has a brother who is a good for nothing. He is involved in crime and he holds the opinion that criminality is going to be his way of living. There are also frustrated youngsters on mopeds. We have heard that "people" (whom we never see) start to gossip about the romance between Ton and Na. And they don't like it. So in the latter part we are confronted with something which I regard as somewhat incoherent. At a point it seems, that the evil brother is approving of the relationship between Ton and Na. But suddenly Ton remembers that he had a girl-friend and that he wants to re-activate their relationship. In addition we have to accept that there is a relation between the evil brother and the local hoodlums.
At this point I started to asked myself if I missed important clues or if the script was messed up. I wish that a Thai arthouse fan could explain the end to me. Ton is beaten up by the hoodlums and then thrown in the river to drift away. And what is the point of this? The external influence gone? The  wonderful town is on its own again? I am lost - and this makes this experience so frustrating, because I started to like it and now I fail to make sense of it.
I wish, an understanding Thai - or any other aficionado - could explain the film to me. Please, anyone?
7/10



No comments:

Post a Comment