Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Pear Tree (1998) - a poetic film from Iran

So it is 2015 now. Second time I am alone during New Year's Eve. The absence of social engagements makes me independent. As I enjoy my solitary life, it doesn't matter if I write something in my blog while 2015 is only 30 minutes of age - nobody cares anyway.
Another note: I saw The Flower Girl - a a film from North Korea a few days ago. The title song IS a catchy tune and has become one for me. This is kind of irritating, as I want to be water proof against their shitty propaganda.
OK
Now about the Pear Tree. Everybody who has a just a basic interest in movies, has to know that Iran is a country that at least once in a while produces most watchable movies. I have seen some more than watchable movies from the 2000's, but not a movie from the past millennium.

Mahmoud is an intellectual with a writer's block. At the same time a pear tree refuses to fructify - aha, parallelism! The gardener alerts Mahmud, but he he prefers to stay inside. So we have inner life and outer life. Will Mahmud stay in his house - will he go out and confront The Pear Tree? The gardener's talk triggers images from the past of Mahmud. He was in love with 'M'  but she is far away away. She promised to wait until he would become of legal age, so that they could marry. But she goes away and he sees her never again. Mahmud engages in politics, becomes a Marxist, but as Marx said in his theses on Feuerbach, he does not want only to interpret the world differently, he wants to change it.
From childhood dreams Mahmoud jumps into present-day adventures... TBC
At that point I fell asleep. While I was proud to keep myself awake until midnight to greet 2015, I faded out soon after that...
So back to this remarkable work by Dariush Mehrjui. ... Mahmud wants to achieve something before contacting M, but in prison he learns, that she perished in a car accident.
Back in the present tense, he is still busy with his unspecified, but ground-breaking book. Angrilyhe orders that the gtree should be cut, but the gardener supposes that the tree still deserves a second chance. At last Mahmud finds peace and is enjoying the moment between past and future.
Enjoying the moment between past and the future -- could there be a more suitable film for New Year's Eve?
There are very poetic moments, e.g. when Mahmud and M meet for the last time and she tries to dry his tears -- this is a moment of sheer beauty.
However, the transformations stay unclear to me. i don't understand why he changed from a left-wing activist to a present-day intellectual and I don't see what made him at last confront the outer world. This part seems like attached to the film.
The philosophical content of this film is also rather trivial, but this can also be because the male protagonist acts like a woodcut, without any emotion.
On the whole this is still a very watchable film.
6/10.

Artistic department wasn't very busy to make this film attractive.


No comments:

Post a Comment