Thursday, August 10, 2017

عيون الحرامية ([Eyes of a Thief], 2014, Najwa Najjar)

This film has probably good intentions and while I am prepared to give it some good-will credits, I cannot help to notice that the execution is not really satisfying.
Is this about the daily life in Palestine? What do we see? A lot of men sitting in a bar and complaining uselessly about the occupants. Do we see street life? Yes, sometimes, but the visuals do not really correspond with the soundtrack. And we do not see women in the street and hardly anyone with religious garments. I do not know, if street life in Nablus is like that, but I have the strong suspicion that this is a filtered view. I wish I had some body with whom I could discuss such issues.
Tarek, a premium sniper, is released from prison for an assault that happened 10 years ago, His wife has died and his daughter has disappeared. Tarek tries to trace the daughter. He can make use of his skills as engineer and also discovers that a local collaborator has cheated the local population for the water they are paying for. What is the message here? Local Quislings work together with the occupation authorities.  Thus they can maintain the hatred against them and do business for their own good. Is that so? -
Tarek is portrayed as a positive character, somebody who actively wants to achieve changes (by killing border controls). At least he achieves that the water supply is no longer redirected to the Israeli settlement. The message? Civil action is better than killing?
Another thing that surprised me is the absence of religion. Yes, I know, I know, the evil media make us believe that religion is the source of all evil. But - on the other hand: Tarek is a Christian in a Muslim majority society. The theme of religion is hinted at, but it is not developed. (Well, I don't think that religion has to enter a plot, only because this film is set in Palestine, but then - the writer chose to make the main character a member of a religious minority and does not develop that theme.)
So - interesting watch, but also unsatisfying.
5/10
Kal Naga as Tarek








Add caption


No comments:

Post a Comment