Sunday, October 29, 2017

سکوت‎‎ ([The Silence], Mohsen Makhmalbaf, 1998)

Sometimes you just have to realize that a certain director is not compatible for you as viewer. I have to admit that Makhmalbaf is no director for me. I wanted to like him, because he was introduced to me in Close-Up as a director with a social conscience, but I have failed to like his style. Yes, there is poetry in his pictures, but it doesn't hit me.
Here we have a 10-year-old blind Khorsid somewhere in Tadjikistan. His father did not return "from the war". Now the landlord is presing every day to get his rent. Mother urges the boy every day to get the money. Khorsid works as tuner for instruments, but it seems that they are not very popular with customers. Khorsid, however, gets regularly lost on the way to work, as he rather follows pretty voices or pleasing music. At the end they are kicked out of their home. I have read that this film is filled with symbols from sufism. So be it - I didn't catch whatever symbolic value there might have been. Using some chords from Beethoven's 5th symphony is supposed to make the message a universal one.
It is common that people like Makhmalbaf use amateur actors. Sometimes they do a good job; here they don't. They deliver their sentences worse than reading from a book.
I noticed that I saw this already some time ago, but I managed to forget almost all about it. This is not necessarily a valid judgment about this film, but shows once more that this director does not really overlap with me.
2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment