Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Gozu - a strange film from Japan

I am widely unfamiliar with the work of Takashi Miike. Browsing through the extensive list of his work, only one movie had crossed my way before, The Happiness of the Katakuris, but then I thought that that movie was inferior to the South-Korean original. So now Gozu. sometimes the UK Film4 has good movies, but they also present a wide range of rubbish. And Gozu indeed falls into that category.
It's about a Yakuza who has lost his grip on reality and has become unacceptable; he is to be killed. However, on the way to the disposal place, he is accidentally killed. His body disappears mysteriously and the supposed-to killer is ordered to locate the body.
What follows is a series of surrealist-dreamish-nightmare scenes. They include a somewhat aged hotel-owner with SM tendencies, nymphomaniac personality and the bull-headeg messenger. Not onl that yakuza has lost his sense of reality. The film end with one of the most bizarre inter courses.
I wouldn't have watched this movie, but it has a relatively good score on metacritic, so Ilet me fool, although my inner voice said: Stay away from this crap. I have no clue why some intellectuals think that this might be a work of art.
What You See Is What You Get

No comments:

Post a Comment